- Published: 06/03/2019
The episodic or ‘ping pong' teaching approach can be one of the most striking features of a mastery-style lesson. But what is it exactly and how does it affect decisions when planning lessons?
In this podcast, Primary Mastery Specialists Faye Glendinning and Sam Shutkever take us through the gritty detail of their episodic lesson planning.
They give their understanding of the theory and explain how it is implemented in their schools. Each of them then takes us through the episodes of a recent lesson in detail, explaining each planning decision.
Taking part in the discussion are:
- Faye Glendinning, Cedars Academy, Birmingham, and Central Maths Hub
- Sam Shutkever, Akroydon Primary Academy, Halifax, and West Yorkshire Maths Hub
- Gwen Tresidder, Communications Manager, NCETM
- 01:32 – First encounters with mastery
- 04:46 – Where their schools are now with mastery
- 08:40 – Challenges (Faye)
- 12:28 – Challenges (Sam)
- 14:50 – What is the 'ping pong' (or episodic) approach?
- 21:18 – Is it harder to manage?
- 27:04 – Sam’s Y5 lesson (fractions as division)
- 37:18 – Faye’s Y6 lesson on division
Some of the slides used in their lessons, to illustrate their explanations, are available in this Word document.