- Published: 30/04/2021
The NCETM is running a series of six twilight online events in late May/early June to suggest ways for secondary maths departments to prioritise curriculum areas for Key Stage 3 in the next school year. The sessions will draw heavily on the NCETM’s Mastery Professional Development Materials and be led in part by school-based, Maths Hubs Mastery Specialists.
The six sessions will take place in the last fortnight of May and second week of June, each one split into two 45-minute sections: 3:45 to 4:30 pm and 4:45 to 5:30 pm. Each session will concentrate on an overriding theme of the Key Stage 3 curriculum.
- 18 May – The structure of the number system
- 19 May – Operating on number
- 26 May – Geometry
- 27 May – Statistics and probability
- 8 June – Sequences and graphs
- 9 June – Multiplicative reasoning.
In each of the sessions, the presenters will:
- explore the unifying core concepts that make up the theme, and consider which elements are critical to recovering learning
- discuss students’ difficulties and misconceptions and how to address them
- hear from Mastery Specialists about classroom strategies and approaches they have used
- consider materials and resources to take participants’ thinking further.
In the second 45-minute section, there will be opportunities for participants, via the Chat function, to ask questions.
These sessions are for teachers, trainees and other maths professionals in England only.
This registration option gives access for one teacher to attend any or all of the six sessions. If different members of a maths department want to attend different sessions, each teacher will have to register individually.
NB: Registering entails providing us with your email address. If you’d like to see how the NCETM’s parent organisation, Tribal, uses and protects such personal information, please read the Privacy Notice.