Explore how objects can be arranged in equal groups, and how the number of groups and the size of the groups can be described; represent equally grouped objects with addition and multiplication expressions, connecting multiplication to repeated addition.
- Teaching point 1: Objects can be grouped into equal or unequal groups.
- Teaching point 2: When describing equally grouped objects, the number of groups and the size of the groups must both be defined.
- Teaching point 3: Equal groups can be represented with a repeated addition expression.
- Teaching point 4: Equal groups can be represented with a multiplication expression.
- Teaching point 5: Multiplication expressions can be written for cases where the groups each contain zero items, and for cases where the groups each contain one item.